Toucan Flock
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Making Adoptables - Simple Guide [fishieloverxox]

Go down

Making Adoptables - Simple Guide [fishieloverxox] Empty Making Adoptables - Simple Guide [fishieloverxox]

Post by ChibiMaestro Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:29 am

Created by [url=#]fishieloverxox[/url] - Unfortunately we don't have a link to your page, so if you're fishieloverxox, then please give us a link. Thanks!
This is a simple guide I made that I hope helps some people :3
You will need Gimp, or similar programs such as photoshop. Gimp is free though X3

Alrighty. I hope you know how to use layers, at least basically. Open a new blank image on gimp. I like to keep the background white to start off with. Open a new layer (all your layers should be transparent) and draw the anatomy. The anatomy is basically the main shapes of the creature you want to draw. Include circles for the head, chest, etc. Simple shapes are best, you need a guide to draw by. And looking at reference pictures is a great way to start off. This is a basic anatomy for a kitten that's laying down. I'm sorry, this is a poor example of anatomy because the tail covers up everything X3
As you can see, I use the pencil tool for this. I like how simple it is, it doesn't interfere with my lineart.
Making Adoptables - Simple Guide [fishieloverxox] Anatomy

Next, making the actual lineart. Open a new layer on top of the anatomy layer. I like to zoom in for this, it keeps my lines smooth. However, do whatever you feel most comfortable doing. I also have a tablet with pressure sensitivity, but if you use a mouse, just make sure to fix your lines and make them thinner/thicker in certain places.
On the right is what it looks like with the anatomy layer showing. On the lef is with the anatomy layer hidden (press the eye button on your anatomy layer).
You can just delete the anatomy layer, but I like to keep it hidden in case I need to fix anything.
Making Adoptables - Simple Guide [fishieloverxox] Anatomylines Making Adoptables - Simple Guide [fishieloverxox] Lines

Next, a very simple step, putting down your flat colors. Make a new layer, underneath your lineart layer. Pick the main body color and fill in your whole lineart. Zoom in and do it the hard way, to make sure you have all gaps covered. Once that's done, lock the transparency. This is a little checkered button above your layers. Check the box beside 'lock'. Now you can add your markings, or use gradients, or whatever, and you can color outside the lines because the transparency is locked.
Although, if this is a template for future adoptables, you should choose one color only.
Here's a simple red color:
Making Adoptables - Simple Guide [fishieloverxox] Colors

Now we'll shade. Shading is very easy once you get the hang of it, and here's my way of shading to make it even easier. Don't bother with using the dodge/burn tools and don't both coloring to shade. Instead, make a new layer above your flat colors.
Do you see that dropdown menu above your layers that says 'mode' beside it? Choose 'multiply'.
Next, choose a shade of gray. This is where the mouse/tablet difference comes in. If you use a mouse do the following:
Choose a relatively light shade of gray. Make sure you're using the soft brush. Zoom in, and put your brush tool at about 45% opacity. Tweak this to what you like. Start off by adding your first layer of shading. Choose a light source, and add shading wherever the light wouldn't hit. This means on one side of the body, as well as where limbs or other body parts are blocking the light. Add 1, 2 or 3 more layers of shading, until you're happy with how it looks.
What's great about this method of shading is that you can blur, and erase your shading without changing your markings, so feel free to do so :3
If you use a tablet, choose a shade of gray in the middle (not too dark, not too light). Turn the opacity pressure sensitivity button on, and shade the same way as above. Instead of applying different layers of shading, just press harder for the darker shading.
Making Adoptables - Simple Guide [fishieloverxox] Shading

Add a new layer, set this one to mode 'overlay'.
Use the same method as above, but with white instead of gray, for the highlights. Highlights should be opposite of the shadows, where you light source hits.
Making Adoptables - Simple Guide [fishieloverxox] Highlights

Finally, this is a helpful trick if you have a breeding option on your website, and need gender differences, or if you just like a neat border.
Go to your lineart layer. Use the magic wand tool to select the outside of your lineart. Now go to
Select>invert
on your menu bars on top. Then, right click your lineart layer and click duplicate. Erase all of the lineart on this layer. You'r now only left with a selection.
Place the layer underneath everything, but on top of your background. Now, go to
Select>grow
on your menu bars, choose about 3 or 4, or whatever size you'd like.
Then, choose the color you'd like the outline to be and color everything with your brush tool. You'll get a neat little border.
Making Adoptables - Simple Guide [fishieloverxox] Outline

Select your image, the size you want it to be, then go to
Image > fit canvas to selection.

If this is a template for your adoptables, save the image as .xcf (.psd if you use photoshop). This way, you can open it, go to the flat colors layer, lock transparency, and change the colors as you wish, very quickly and easily.

Save your adoptable image .jpg (or .gif) and make sure the quality's at 100.
I hope this was helpful, I'm sorry if it wasn't ^^;
I used my own adoptable template, so it's small and not easy to see. My apologies for that. I'll update it if/when I have time.
If you have any questions just ask.
If this gets a positive response I'll make some more tutorials on coloring methods and other stuff :3
ChibiMaestro
ChibiMaestro
Administrator
Administrator

Beak Points : 4236

Back to top Go down